What Is the Best Equipment Mix for Site Development Projects?

Peter Martins

New member
Messages
23
I'm curious what equipment mix everyone considers ideal for a typical site development project. Do you prefer relying on a few larger machines or a larger fleet of specialized equipment for excavation, grading, and material handling? What combination of excavators, dozers, loaders, graders, and compact equipment has worked best for you? Have you found that certain machines consistently provide the best productivity and versatility? I'd love to hear what equipment setups have delivered the best results on your projects.
 
I’ve found that a balanced mix works best, having a couple of mid-sized excavators and dozers for the heavy lifting, paired with versatile loaders and compact equipment for tighter areas really keeps things efficient without overcomplicating the fleet.
 
I like that approach. Have you found there's one machine in your fleet that ends up doing way more work than you originally expected?
 
I have to agree with the skid steer comments. On a lot of site development jobs I've been around, the skid steer ends up being the machine that's constantly moving. The excavator and dozer handle the big earthmoving, but the skid steer seems to jump from grading and backfilling to material handling and cleanup without missing a beat.

If I had to pick a well-rounded setup, it'd be a mid-size excavator, a dozer, a wheel loader, a skid steer with a few attachments, and a motor grader for larger sites. That combination covers most tasks without having too many specialized machines sitting idle.

One thing I'm curious about, what attachments are you guys getting the most value from on your skid steers? We seem to get a lot of use out of grading buckets and pallet forks, but I've heard some crews swear by power rakes and trenchers for site prep work.
 
Back
Top